What is OpenSSH for Windows?
- OpenSSH for Windows is a free open source package that installs OpenSSH server and utilities using the minimum Cygwin files.
- This can be used to make remote terminal connection via SSH or to transfer files securely via SFTP or SCP
- This is similar to a package previously available from Network Simplicity.
My original version was derived from the last release provided by Michael Johnson - http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net
- This OpenSSH for Windows package provides full SSH/SCP/SFTP support. The SSH terminal provides the familiar Windows Command prompt, and retains Unix/Cygwin-style paths for SCP and SFTP.
The library version used in my latest version of OpenSSH is libopenssl098-0.9.8y-1
So thankfully do to it's age it's not affected by the Heart Bleed bug.
Firstly many thanks to those of you who have emailed me thanks and with bug reports. It is greatly appreciated.
Secondly, an apology for not reply to many of you, I have received your mails, due to being busy with my primary job and a loss in the family I have not been as good at responding to your mails.
I endeavour to get round to replying to your mails as soon as possible, to investigating your bug reports and implementing fixes that some of you have, very kindly, provided.
Thanks for your feedback and support.
- OpenSSH for Windows 5.6p1-2 based release created!!
- Happy New Year all! Since COpSSH has started charging I've resurrected this project
- Updated all binaries to current releases
- Added several new supporting DLLs as required by all executables in package
- Renamed switch.exe to bash.exe to remove the need to modify and compile mkpasswd.exe each build
- Please note there is a very minor bug in this release, detailed in the docs. I'm working on fixing this, anyone who can code in C and can offer a bit of help it would be much appreciated
OpenSSH for Windows 5.6p1-2
- OpenSSH_For_Windows_5.6p1-2.exe (Binary Installer)
- No installer source files will be made available until I can tidy them up a bit.
OpenSSH 4.3p2 for Windows
- OpenSSH_For_Windows_4.3p2.exe (Binary Installer)
- Alas I've lost the Installer Source Files for version 4.3p2
OpenSSH 4.2p1-1 for Windows
- Tested on:
- Windows 7 x64
- Previous versions have been tested on:
- Windows 2000 SP4
- Windows 2000 Server SP4
- Windows XP Pro SP2 (Thanks:Bjørn Steensrud)
- Windows NT4.0 Workstation SP6a
- Windows 2000 Professional SP3
- Windows 2000 Server SP3
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
If you successfully install this on any operation system other than those in the "Tested on" list then please let me know so I can add it to the list.
Contact me on:
- Tested on:
I used refer people over to the CopSSH when I found how well developed their product was. However, I have resurrected my own project now that they have started charging for their product. I don't begrudge someone trying to make ends meet but I feel that SSH for Windows should be either part of the operating system or freely available too all.
I hope you appreciate that work on this project is done on my own time and any donation that you feel you can contribute to my beer fund is much appreciated